Suggestions for pre-course reading
Students admitted to study for postgraduate degrees at the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology come from a variety of academic backgrounds and have very diverse needs and orientations. The reading list given below of initial reading suggestions is not mandatory: please use your own good sense in using it, whether you are new to anthropology or already have extensive training and relevant experience. In drawing up this list we have kept in mind not only social anthropology but also the range of more specialist master's degrees taught at ISCA (material anthropology with museum ethnography, visual anthropology, and medical anthropology). Many of the suggested readings are relevant to several of these fields.
Anthropologists at work
- Bowen, Elenore Smith (1954) Return to Laughter. Gollancz.
- Dresch, Paul, Wendy James and David Parkin (eds.) (2000) Anthropologists in a Wider World: Essays on Field Research. Berghahn.
- Gardner, Katy (1991) Songs at the River's Edge. Virago.
- Lévi-Strauss, Claude (1989 ) Tristes Tropiques. Penguin.
- MacClancy, Jeremy (ed.) (2002), Exotic No More: Anthropology on the Front Lines. Chicago.
- Okely, Judith, and Helen Callaway (eds.) (1992) Anthropology and Autobiography. Routledge.
- Rabinow, Paul (1977) Reflections on Fieldwork in Morocco . University of California Press.
- Watson, C. W. (ed.) (1999) Being there: Fieldwork in Anthropology. Pluto.
- Young, Malcolm (1991) An Inside Job: Policing and Police Culture in Britain . Oxford.
Basic introductions for those new to anthropology
- Hendry, Joy (1999) An Introduction to Social Anthropology: other People's Worlds . Macmillan.
- Keesing, Roger (1984) Cultural Anthropology: a Contemporary Perspective. Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Lienhardt, Godfrey (1964) Social Anthropology. Oxford .
- Pocock, David (1975) Understanding Social Anthropology. Hodder and Stoughton.
- Barnard, Alan (2000) History and Theory in Anthropology. Cambridge.
- Eriksen, Thomas Hylland (2001) Small Places, Large Issues. London.
- Eriksen Thomas Hylland, and F.S. Nielsen, A History of Anthropology. London.
- James, Wendy (2003) The Ceremonial Animal: a new Portrait of Anthropology. Oxford.
- Kuper, Adam (1995) Anthropology and Anthropologists: the Modern British School. (rev. edn.) Routledge.
- Layton , Bob (1997) An Introduction to Theory in Anthropology. Cambridge .
Important readings on key topics
- Asad, Talal (ed.) (1973) Anthropology and the Colonial Encounter. Ithaca.
- Banks, Marcus and H. Morphy (eds) (1997) Rethinking Visual Anthropology. Yale.
- Bernard, H. R. and P. J. Pelto (1972) Technology and Social Change. MacMillan.
- Bourdieu, Pierre (1977) Outline of a Theory of Practice. Cambridge.
- Carsten, Janet (2004) After Kinship. Cambridge.
- Coote, Jeremy and A. Shelton (eds) (1992) Anthropology, Art and esthetics. Oxford.
- Crawford, P.I. and D. Turton (eds) (1992) Film as Ethnography. Manchester University Press.
- Davis, John (1992) Exchange. Open University Press.
- Douglas , Mary (1966/1984) Purity and Danger ( new edition). Ark.
- Durkheim, E. and M. Mauss (1903/1963) Primitive Classification. Cohen and West.
- Ingold, Tim, D. Riches and J. Woodbum (1988) Hunters and Gatherers (Part 1). Berg.
- Mauss, Marcel (1925/1990) The Gift. Routledge.
- Moore , Henrietta (1988) Feminism and Anthropology. Polity Press.
- Needham , Rodney (ed.) (1973) Right and Left. Chicago.
- O'Hanlon, Michael and Eric Hirsch (eds) (1995) The Anthropology of Landscape. Oxford.
- Parkin, David J. (ed.) (1982) Semantic Anthropology. Academic Press.
- Parkin, Robert (1997) Kinship: an Introduction to Basic Concepts. Blackwell.
- Stokes, Martin (ed.) (1994) Ethnicity, Identity, and Music. Berg.
Classic field-based studies
- Benedict, Ruth (1935) Patterns of Culture. Routledge.
- Dumont , Louis (1966) Homo Hierarchicus. Chicago.
- Evans-Pritchard, E. E. (1937) Witchcraft, Oracles and Magic among the Azande. Oxford.
- Evans-Pritchard, E. E. (1940) The Nuer. Oxford.
- Geertz, Clifford (1975) The Interpretation of Cultures. Hutchinson.
- Lienhardt, R.G. (1961 ) Divinity and Experience: the Religion of the Dinka. Oxford.
- Malinowski, Bronislaw (1932) Argonauts of the Western Pacific. Routledge.
- Rosaldo, Michelle (1980) Knowledge and Passion: Notions of Self and Society among the Ilongot. Cambridge.
- Turner, Victor (1967) The Forest of Symbols. Cornell.
Some points of reference in related disciplines
- Anderson, Benedict (1991) Imagined Communities. Verso.
- Connerton, Paul (1989) How Societies Remember. Cambridge.
- Gould, Stephen Jay (1997) The Mismeasure of Man (rev. ed). Harmondsworth.
- Harvey, David (1989 ) The Condition of Postmodernity: an Enquiry into the Origins of Cultural Change. Oxford (Blackwell).
- Hobsbawm, Eric, and T.O. Ranger (eds) (1983) The Invention of Tradition. Cambridge.
- Merleau-Ponty, M. (1962) Phenomenology of Perception. Routledge.
- Said, Edward (1978) Orientalism. Routledge.