Copyright and APCs
Open Access Statement
JASO is open access. We adhere to the BOAI definition of open access so our users have the right to 'read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of these articles'.
All articles in JASO are published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence (see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/). Authors retain the copyright but license publication in JASO according to this licence.
We are prepared to discuss publishing articles under other licences (eg other CC licences) in special circumstances.
General statement and policy
1. The purpose of JASO-Online is to provide a forum for the publication of research and views of interest to anthropologists, especially but not entirely research that can be considered ‘work in progress’.
2. The journal is run in association with the School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography and the Oxford University Anthropology Society. Numbers in the journal may be downloaded free from the relevant website. Authors will not receive any payment for their contributions, whether in the form of fees or royalties, nor any offprints on paper.
3. The Editors will make every effort to ensure that contributions do not offend either the law or good academic practice with regard to libel, plagiarism or improper citation, but the legal responsibility for these remains with the authors.
4. Authors are free to place a copy of their article in a subject or institutional repository subject to including a statement that the article is copyright and including the URL of the JASO-Online publication. Strictly, they may place both preprints and postprints/final published versions in repositories subject to the above conditions.
5. Contributors will be regarded as having accepted hese conditions, as well as any listed below, when they offer a paper for consideration.
Historical Statements applying to the JASO Archive
Articles in the JASO are subject to copyright. Authors were required to transfer copyright to the Journal (the Oxford University Anthropology Society) as a condition of publication and we are now making them available under a CC BY-NC licence (being closest to the spirit of the original guidelines). Authors of those articles are free to do the following: they may place a copy of their article in a subject or institutional repository subject to including a statement that the article is copyright and including the URL of the JASO-Online publication. They may place both preprints and postprints/final published versions in repositories subject to the above conditions.
Authors may republish their articles elsewhere free of charge on condition that JASO is credited and including the URL of the JASO-Online publication. Reproduction rights for future inclusion in a textbooks may only be granted after prior request to the Editors.
Reasonable copying for educational purposes within the relevant guidelines is permitted without prior reference to the Editors